Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wesch, "From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-able" Talking Points #5

No what I got out of this text is that he states that classrooms have taken a change, saying that he doesn't mean physically but in the cyber net world. To consolidate this to get more to the point and a more small portion of what I thought this text meant was that he had posted in a Britannica Online forum: First stating that digital artifacts are being created in social networks such as the biggest social network thats been growing continuously and that has gained society's acceptance. Now what he saids with that from what I understood was that as the cyber network grows and information is more accessible and has been growing in large quantity's there is no need for knowing, memorizing, or recalling information. Where more important things now are on how to find,sort,analyze,share, discuss, critique, and create information noting that classrooms and teaching methods have had to be altered because of this change. He also gives two terminology s that to me is quite interesting and something to bring up in class such as the definition of Knowledgeable and Knowledge-able. I found that quite interesting and I think that the need to discuss the definitions of this from his text would be very interesting to what everyone's opinion is to what these two terms mean according to the text. I also caught that he mentioned teaching methods being "disrupted" which to me can go both ways like for example yeah it could go towards the bad side but at the same time new techniques can actually bring new and maybe life changing ways to our society and maybe even land more job opportunities and more choices to society. Probably something else to go over in discussion in class Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. I love your mini discourse analysis of the word "disrupted" (I bet you didn't even know that you were DOING a discourse analysis!) What does that word mean and can "disrupting" education be a good thing when the education is lecture driven and boring? Great issue, Leecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reading the piece I took the word "knowledgable" to be a reference to learning a subject. I am knowledgable in political science. For Wesch becoming knowledgable is a result of the traditional education model. To be "knowledge-able" is not to memorize things, but to be able to find the knowledge need for any situation. I think the key is to be able to find knowledge. This is the result of the New Media Education model Wesch presents. For what it's worth, that's what I got from the article about "knowledge" vs. "knowledge-able."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leecy! yes i agree Wasch uses various words that can be taken differently based on the person. But I feel the main point is that technology is important and a key factor in getting information across to students

    ReplyDelete